background

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mod Podge Canvas Art

Okay, let me begin this post by saying that I have suddenly become OBSESSED with turquoise! I believe it started with this... and so now I'm onto an entire deal with redecorating my living room... er... area. Okay, so I must confess we are currently living with my parents... I know, twenty-somethings with two kids living with their parents! Lame. But I console myself with the thought that it's a smart decision since we're both recent college grads, my husband just got his first job out of college, and I am currently working on my masters... and Pinning away of course! Anyway... how this relates to my post is that we are living in what used to be my parent's family room. It's HUGE! So we have made it into a studio apartment of sorts, we have an area for an office, a living area, and our bed (the boys have their own room). Okay, still off topic. Well, the point is, I want to revamp our whole "studio". I just ordered this AMAZING bedding:

You have to know that I am totally obsessed with animal prints. When I moved into my first apartment my mom bought me a cheetah print bedding set and I seriously thought I was the coolest person alive. Okay, but now I'm grown up, and more importantly married to a guy who would never over his dead body allow me to buy a bedding set screaming, "I was shot on someone's African safari!!" He's more of the modern, simplistic, clean cut type. So, when I saw this set I knew that I had finally found something that would please both of us. You don't even want to see the fugly bedding set we currently have (okay, but now that I used the word fugly I know you probably do want to see it, so I'll save that for another post :O)!). Okay, seriously, back on track... so I am redoing our living area in brown and turquoise, and thought some nice new wall art was in order, especially considering that our previous wall art was this:



I know, I had great taste when I picked this out right? What I especially can't believe is that I payed a grand total of SIXTY BUCKS for these things (seriously, the price tags were still on back). Luckily I now know the ways of Pinterest and have the tools to reconcile for the serious lack of chic in my past- oh, and don't worry, I will DEFINITELY be re-vamping that old "art" (I'm thinking maybe some spray paint and mirrors in the centers?).

So... back to the project at hand:

The Pinspiration:
http://pinterest.com/pin/91479436150683136/

Background Information: Do NOT use the spray-on mod podge (what was I thinking!? learn from my mistakes), and be sure to cut down your paper a bit!

The Instructions:
1. Spray paint (or use regular paint) the edges of canvas. I did three canvases brown and three blue.


2. Mod podge scrapbooking paper to canvas (SERIOUSLY, DEFINITELY follow the pin to the original instructions, because I didn't follow the instructions and... well, let's just say it could have been better!).


3. Hang on wall- DONE!

My Creation: Now that I see the picture I realized that these are totally crooked... and that this project did not turn out as great as I thought it would when I saw it on Pinterest... *shrug* you win some, you lose some, right?


Cost: $16.50: Breakdown- $12 for a set of (7) 12 x 12 canvases- I know, way cheap! I actually had a 40% off coupon for Michael's (which you can seriously get almost every week if you sign up for flyers/emails or get the newspaper ads). Plus, this means I have one canvas left over for a future project! $4.50 for Mod Podge from Walmart. I had the spray paint from other projects.

Difficulty: (1-5 pins, 5 being more difficult)

Okay, so maybe the three pins is just me being a baby, but mod podge and I do NOT have a good relationship after this project!


Also, coming to a couch near me, something using these fabrics!:
 

Stay tuned!!

1 comment:

  1. With a large variety of unique and creative works of art, we promise to deliver superb, distinctive designs that will exquisitely adorn your space. square canvas

    ReplyDelete